Tuesday, 27 September 2011

My First "Foods" Blog Entry: Musical Foods

The other day, the amazing Becky sent me a video to kick off our breakfast unit...




I had been thinking about YouTube videos and songs that I could use class, and the Sesame Street clip is brilliant!  Everybody loves Grover!

As a "musically challenged" individual, I tend to limit my singing to three places:

1) The car (This occasionally provides entertainment for colleagues who commute along the same highway.)
2) Church (As a courtesy to those around me, my volume depends on the volume of the band.)
3) The kitchen (My songs are usually themed to the food I'm cooking...and those who want to eat don't mock the chef.)

On occasion, I change the lyrics of a popular song and sing a few lines in class, but it never lasts long.  I'd prefer to avoid ending up on YouTube under "tone deaf teacher."

I am teaching Foods for the first time, this year.  As I was flipping through Foods 9/10 recipes provided by my fabulous colleagues, I began to think of the songs I associate with many of the ingredients.

For example, I was looking at a recipe for breakfast burritos.  In my kitchen, any meal which requires these:
Sidenote: I LOVE Trader Joe's!
Results in an off-key rendition of this:



Banana waffles are in one of the binders, as well.  Any banana-related recipes cause me to re-write and sing the words of this song:


As I thought about it, I realized that my list of cooking songs goes on...and on...and on.  Fresh herbs are great, but breaded chicken isn't perfect unless I'm singing "Shake your chicken!"  (You're judging me right now, aren't you?)

While I'm not willing to perform any of my cooking songs in class, I think it will be fun to play themed songs for different recipes and units.  I might play songs on cooking day as the students start, or as they enter on demo day and have them guess what we're making.  If a food is traditionally eaten in another country, I could find some international music to accompany meal time.  I used to love using songs when I taught English and will definitely be using music in Social Studies.  Why should Foods be left out?

The wheels in my mind are turning...

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the image of you dancing around your kitchen with your shake and bake bag singing "shake your chicken". I think it would be a big crowd pleaser in your foods class. Go ahead: whip it, whip it good!

    ReplyDelete